Did you know that every legal dispute doesn’t have to land in court to be resolved?
That’s right, instead of a knockout, drag down fight, you have another option.
It’s called alternative dispute resolution and it exists to help people resolve disputes in a private and confidential way that, ultimately, can make the resolution go smoother.
This option isn’t just for business owners, but anyone who wants to resolve a dispute in a way that allows you to stay out of the public eye in a confidential, private way. And it can be used for literally anything such as:
- Family law
- Property law
- Collaborative divorce
- Just about anything you can think of!
Here are the top three types of alternative dispute resolution and how they differ:
- Negotiation: private, but not necessarily confidential.
- Mediation: private and confidential, but you make the decision to come to an agreement.
- Arbitration: private and confidential, but someone else (the arbitrator) decides the outcome.
Why does any of this even matter? YOU are your brand, the one who makes agreements with clients, gets a new job, quits your job, etc.
Your reputation is everything. Alternative Dispute Resolution can help you protect your reputation.
And whether you can ask for an alternative dispute resolution, depends on a two things:
- Do you have a contract? If yes, put it in there. If not, go to the next question.
- Does at least one of the parties want a private and confidential resolution? If yes, ask for a negotiation, mediation, or arbitration. The worst they can say is no.
This is exactly why it’s so important to have the right lawyer on your power team who is behind you, defending and protecting you and is aligned with you in the way that they believe is the right way to make decisions. Feel free to reach out if you need help getting the right resources.
As you go about your day, think about these questions:
- What do the following have in common with each other?
- Your credit card agreement
- An employee handbook from your job
- The business contract you drew up
- Your pin number when you buy your groceries
ANSWER: They all include a form of alternative dispute resolution.
Take the plunge. 💦 Sign up for my email list to get notifications on new podcast episodes, free resources, behind the scenes activities, VIP Pre-Public Access, discounts, and more!